Monday, October 10, 2011

Raise the longroof!

It is all about the little victories in life. I didn't get around to doing the engine work that I had hoped to accomplish this time out. Gonna have a buddy come over who is more mechanically inclined that I to help with the aspect of the car. He is the one who helped me tow the car home. Anyways back to my little victory....

The Thorn in My Side... 
By golly I did it. But now you can see the dent in the roof.
Once I had the complete luggage rack taken off, I had a chance to survey the damage to the roof. There was some rust that had began to form where the rack bolted to the roof of the car. That and there was 50+ years of dirt that had accumulated under each bar.  I climbed in the car to see if I could push the roof back up... so I gently hit it with my fist.... and POP! back to form it was!

Now that it was back to its original shape, I decided it was time to clean off the dirt and grime that had accumulated. I also need to take a better look at the rust that had bubbled to the surface. Fortunately it wasn't too bad. I sanded it down a bit and plan to throw some primer on it next time I go out there.

The roof went from being dented and fairly dirty to this:


Not bad for an old longroof! Next I am going to make new pads for the feet of the luggage rack and shine it up as best I can. Some pitting will most likely still show through, but that is just a part of the character of the car!

So my little victory is that the ski rack is finally off the car and will be on Craigslist sooner than later. It can be yours! It would be a great addition to someone's '84 240 Volvo! It is vintage, which instantly means cool! Raise your standing among the hippies of Fremont by purchasing this golden gem.

2 comments:

  1. Consider using a product like Por-15 on the rust before appling primer. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about using POR-15 on the interior of the car once we get to that point. I will use some kind of sealer on the roof prior to the primer. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete